The game of Bocce ball is considered to be quite challenging that requires thought, strategy, and skill. One of the best features about bocce is that it brings together families and friends to enjoy the game. It can be played by anyone. Even the rules of the game are simple to understand and easy to follow. If you're new to the game, here are the rules of the game.
- First of all, you need a flat and level playing surface as the court. As per the regulation of the game, the court has to be 76 feet long and 10 feet wide. But, open bocce can be played on any surface.
- You need to divide players into two teams with one, two, or four players on each team. Make sure that each team receives four bocce balls equally.
- The captain of the team then decide on which team will start. The member of the chosen team is made to stand behind the foul line and asked to throw the ball, which is called a pallina (smaller than the other bocce balls), toward the opposite end of the court.
- The same player is then asked to throw a larger bocce balls, or "boccia." The aim of the game is to get the boccia as close to the pallina as possible without touching it. Players are allowed to roll or lob the bocce but cannot shoot the ball in the air beyond the center line of the court. The teams are free to experiment with different styles, which is more comfortable and advantageous for them.
- Now, the players from the opposing team are allowed to throw their bocce ball, attempting to get one closer to the pallina than the first player's ball. Now, players from other teams may use their boccia to knock the balls away from the pallina, or to knock the pallina closer to their team's balls. If they fail to do then pallina of the starting team gets a chance to improve their first attempt.
- By chance, the second team is able to get their ball closer to the pallina than the starting team without using all of their bocce balls then take their second turn.
- Until, all 8 bocce balls have been thrown continue alternating team. One point is awarded to the team who is able to get the ball closest to the pallina. Although, no point are given in case of a tie.
- If no points were awarded to either, the team last begins the next frame.
- Continue playing the game until one team has scored the number of points determined before the game. Usually, 12 points are set as points for traditional bocce ball rules, though this point can be adjusted if you like.