Hey if you really want to improve your pitching velocity in the game of baseball, then read on this article. I have compiled a list of all the important points that I have gathered after reading thousands of books as well as browsing thousands of websites for all of you! Just have a look at all these points:
- My first tip is that if you really want to enhance and improve the speed then you need to know your present level of fitness. Yes, have you ever thought about your stamina level? You need to prepare a fitness program. If you can not do so, then make sure that you hire a professional trainer for this. The fitness program should include exercises that are meant for various benefits like explosive power work, flexibility, stability and endurance.
- Now my next tip is that you should try to change your speed. Because the fact is that if you really want to improve on your velocity you should change speed of your pitches. By changing the speed a 70 mph fastball may appear as 90 mph fastball, then you need to work hard for it. The practices should start from the beginning itself as well as from a very young age. But it has been seen that players at a very young age use only arm and shoulders to throw a baseball. Because of this, you face a lot of shoulder injuries. Yes it is true
- Now the fact is that Velocity comes from forces added to the ball. And further these forces are developed from momentum in your lift leg and your push off the ground. It is recommended that you should transfer these forces into the ball.
- If young pitchers lift their leg they fall towards the target. I hope that you all agree with me. As a result, these players tend to develop poor velocity and arm injury. That is why you must always keep this fact in mind that timing and efficiency of weigh transfer, during delivery, is the essence of velocity.
- Try using pull perspective instead of throwing.
- The next step is that you must concentrate on your diet factor because it is very important to recovery.
Here are some of the variables that effect throwing velocity in baseball pitchers (a very famous coach Jerry Kreber has given these points)
- Applying direct force to the back of the baseball
- Flexibility in pelvis during balance/ acceleration phase of pitching motion
- Lead leg stability after foot plant
- Torso rotation during acceleration
- Use of scapular muscle used during pitching motion
- Elbow/ bicep extension during the pitching motion
- Break/ release to plate
- Rotator cuff strength and durability
- Use of forearm during pitching motion
- Use of available force from wrist during pitching motion